Thursday, September 13, 2007

Career of the Day: Witness

My friend Mary Ellen has lived in a rent-controlled apartment in West Los Angeles for 35+ years. The building owner could easily get double the amount of rent she currently pays if he gets her out of that apartment. M.E. has no plans on going anywhere, but that didn't prevent Mr. Building Owner from refusing the certified letter containing her September rent and issuing her a 3 Day Pay or Quit Notice.

Being a veteran of the West L.A. eviction wars, I instructed her on all the things she should do to protect herself. After speaking with an attorney yesterday, M.E. asked me to witness her slipping the returned September rent check under the building owner's door, which I'm on my way to do. Videotaping this transaction is the only opportunity I could think of to use my new cell phone's video messaging capability, so hopefully I can learn how to do that on the way over.

No comments: